University of Cape Town (UCT) Language Requirements 2024
If you are an applicant from South Africa seeking admission to the University of Cape Town (UCT) for 2024, you need to meet the minimum requirements by submitting one of the following:
- National Senior Certificate (NSC): A pass mark in English Home Language or First Additional Language.
- Senior Certificate: A minimum of 40% in English on the Higher Grade (first or second language).
For international applicants, regardless of their country of origin, if English is not their first or home language or if they have not passed English at the required level in their previous education, they must provide proof of English language proficiency. This requirement applies to applicants for the 2024 academic year. The accepted qualifications for English language proficiency include:
- NSC Grade 12
- NSSC level
- Equivalent secondary school-leaving qualification from an English medium-of-instruction institution.
Applicants should refer to the specific language proficiency requirements and submit the appropriate documentation as part of their application to UCT.
International applicants who are applying to study at UCT for the 2024 academic year must submit one of the following English language proficiency tests:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): A valid TOEFL iBT Score Report, taken within the last 2 years, with an overall score of 88 or above. The minimum score requirements for each component are 19 in Listening, 19 in Writing, 20 in Reading, and 22 in Speaking.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): A valid IELTS Academic Test Report Form, taken within the last 2 years, with an overall band score of 6.5 or above. A minimum score of 6.0 is required for each component.
- Pearson PTE Academic test: A valid PTE Academic Score Report, taken within the last 2 years, with an overall score of 67 or above. The minimum score requirement for each communicative skills component is 59.
Alternatively, applicants can also submit a valid NBT (National Benchmark Test) Academic Literacy Plus score report, taken within the last 3 years, with an overall score in the Intermediate Upper range or above.
Applicants should ensure that their test scores meet the specified requirements and submit the relevant score report as part of their application to UCT.
To be considered for admission to UCT, applicants must meet the English proficiency levels specified by the university. It is important to consult the relevant Faculty handbook for program-specific prerequisites as additional requirements may apply.
The specified English proficiency levels are outlined in the previous response and include:
- TOEFL iBT: An overall score of 88 or above, with minimum scores of 19 in Listening, 19 in Writing, 20 in Reading, and 22 in Speaking.
- IELTS Academic: An overall band score of 6.5 or above, with a minimum score of 6.0 in each component.
- Pearson PTE Academic: An overall score of 67 or above, with minimum scores of 59 in each communicative skills component.
- NBT Academic Literacy Plus: An overall score in the Intermediate Upper range or above.
It is essential to review the specific requirements for the program of interest in the Faculty handbook to ensure compliance with all prerequisites.
University of Cape Town (UCT) Contacts details
University of Cape Town, Private Bag X3, Rondebosch 7701, South Africa
Tel: +27 (0)21 650 2128
University of Cape Town
c/o Bremner Building Lower Campus
UCT USEFUL LINKS
UCT Online Registration
UCT Online Application Status
UCT Online Courses
How to Apply UCT online
UCT online application dates
UCT online registration dates
How to register UCT Online
UCT Online Prospectus
UCT Online application fee
UCT Online admission requirements
UCT Application form
For more info on uct click here